The School of Aquatic & Fishery Sciences (SAFS) is housed in several buildings on the University of Washington campus. Laboratories provide facilities for a wide range of studies. Each research laboratory contains specialized apparatus and support equipment for conducting experiments. An extensive collection of fishery records from the Pacific Northwest and Alaska is available, and SAFS also maintains a library of computer programs for processing fisheries data. In addition, the School maintains various facilities off-campus, including field research stations in Washington State and Alaska.
Alaska Salmon Program
The School maintains six field stations in the Bristol Bay region of Alaska. Two field camps are located at Lake Iliamna (Iliamna, Porcupine Island), one at Chignik Lake, and three on the Wood River Lakes (Aleknagik, Nerka, Kulik). Each field station features cabins, boats, laboratory space, and equipment to support research activities. The stations are occupied primarily during summer months in support of various types of studies on salmon and their ecosystems. See the Alaska Salmon Program for further information.
Friday Harbor Laboratories
Closer to home, SAFS students and researchers have the opportunity to work at the University of Washington maintained Friday Harbor Laboratories on San Juan Island.
SAFS also maintains a small shellfish research laboratory on Puget Sound at Manchester, Washington, in facilities provided by the National Marine Fisheries Service. At this facility, the School is conducting studies on oysters, clams, and mussels to provide information and assistance to the rapidly developing shellfish aquaculture industry in the Pacific Northwest.
Special Collections & Resources
University of Washington Fish Collection
The UW Fish Collection, part of the UW Burke Museum of Natural History and Culture, is housed in the Fisheries Teaching and Research building, a SAFS facility. This collection of preserved fishes, one of five major permanent collections on the West Coast, is by far the largest in terms of the number of specimens. Presently, the collection contains more than 300,000 juvenile and adult specimens. About 25 percent of the collection consists of freshwater species, primarily from Washington, Oregon, and Alaska. The other 75 percent of the collection contains marine fishes and invertebrates collected mainly in the eastern North Pacific Ocean, from the Aleutian Islands to Baja California, and in the western tropical Pacific, from Christmas Island to Guam and the Philippines. Curators of the collection make specimens available upon request to researchers within and outside of SAFS and the UW and provide ichthyological information to the public.
The School Archives, housed in the Fishery Sciences building, contain records pertaining to research conducted by SAFS personnel, including data, reports and technical papers, proceedings, graduate student theses, reprints of peer-review publications, maps, field logs and journals, and photographs and film. While some of the archive holdings are the same as those housed in the UW Archives, much of the content is unique and available only at this archives facility. Additional holdings pertaining to SAFS research, teaching, and administrative activities are retained at the UW Archives.