The UW campus application for students interested in seeking nomination for the Goldwater Scholarship is now available! Brief details are included here, and further information and application instructions are at http://expd.uw.edu/expo/scholarships/goldwater. Please find a flyer attached as well.
In 2016-17, UW’s Thomas Sedlock Icon Scholarship will also be awarded in connection with UW’s Goldwater Scholarship nominations. Any UW Goldwater nominees not awarded the Goldwater Scholarship will receive a Sedlock Icon Scholarship in the range of $3,000-$6,000. Sedlock Icon Scholarship award decisions will be made in early April, after final Goldwater Scholarship national selection decisions are announced.
GOLDWATER SCHOLARSHIP DETAILS:
The BARRY GOLDWATER SCHOLARSHIP is designed to attract outstanding students into research careers in mathematics, the natural sciences, and engineering. Scholarships are awarded on the basis of merit to students who are sophomores or juniors during the current academic year and who have excellent academic records and demonstrated interest in and potential for research careers in mathematics, the natural sciences, or engineering. The scholarship covers undergraduate eligible expenses for tuition, fees, books, and room and board to a maximum of $7,500 per academic year.
UW DEADLINE for applications: November 13, 2016.
To be considered for nomination, a student must:
- Have one or two years of undergraduate study left and be pursuing a bachelor’s degree on a full-time basis.
- Have an average of at least B or the equivalent.
- Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.
- Have a demonstrated interest in a research career in mathematics, the natural sciences, or engineering.
- Be nominated by his or her college or university on the official online nomination application provided by the Barry Goldwater Scholarship and Excellence in Education Foundation. To be competitive for nomination at UW, students must have a minimum of three quarters of research experience and a minimum GPA of 3.5.
UW INFORMATION SESSIONS
Attend an information session to learn more about eligibility and suitability for this competitive scholarship program, information about the campus application and nomination process, and assistance students will receive if selected as campus nominees. Please RSVP at: https://expo.uw.edu/expo/rsvp/event/241.
- Tuesday, October 4, 2016, 12:30-1:20pm, MGH 173R (inside MGH 171)
- Wednesday, October 5, 2016, 3:30-4:20pm, MGH 173R
- Thursday, Oct. 6, 2016, 4:30-5:20pm, MGH 173R
- Monday, Oct. 10, 2016, 4:30-5:20pm, MGH 173R
- Tuesday, Oct. 11, 2016, 3:30-4:20pm, MGH 173R
Please find additional UW details at http://expd.uw.edu/expo/scholarships/goldwater and on the official Goldwater website at https://goldwater.scholarsapply.org/. Additional information about the Thomas Sedlock Icon Scholarship is available at http://expd.washington.edu/expo/scholarships/sedlock.