Position Description: Environmental Science Center Salmon Naturalist
The Environmental Science Center (ESC) is a non-profit organization, offering quality, experiential environmental education programs at local beaches, streams, forested areas, and in classrooms throughout South King County. We are currently hiring Naturalists for our fall 2016 Salmon Heroes Program, to take place at Normandy Park Cove in Burien and along the Cedar River at the Renton Community Center.
- Conduct field study programs to 4th-12th grades about salmon life cycle, anatomy, and habitat needs, ethnobotany, watershed health, and human impacts on salmon habitat (ESC curriculum provided).
- Model appropriate stewardship behavior.
- Guide groups of 10-15 students during field study programs.
- Experience teaching children and adults in informal and outdoor settings.
- Knowledge of the western Washington riparian ecosystem, human impacts on watershed health, and the lifecycle, habitat needs, and ecological importance of salmon.
- Willingness to work outdoors in all weather conditions.
- Exceptional interpretive skills.
- Must have reliable transportation.
- Must be able to pass a Washington State background check.
Compensation: $17.00/hour – $19.00/hour DOE
Time Commitment: Part-time/ seasonal, based on demand.
The ESC salmon season starts in September and runs through January, 2017. Field studies last 3 hours, and are scheduled Monday – Friday between the hours of 9:00am and 1:00pm.
Supervisor: ESC Programs Manager Joanna Stodden
- Normandy Park Cove (1500 SW Shorebrook Drive, Normandy Park, WA 98166)
- Renton Community Center (1715 Southeast Maple Valley Renton, WA 98057)
How to Apply (APPLICATION DEADLINE-AUGUST 22nd):
Please send a cover letter, resume and three references via e-mail with the subject line “Job Opening Salmon Naturalist” to ESC’s Program Manager by emailing Programs@EnvScienceCenter.org. If you would like more info about the Environmental Science Center, please visit www.EnvScienceCenter.org, and see www.envsciencecenter.org/salmon-heroes/ for more details about the Salmon Heroes Program.