Assistant Professor in Fisheries Oceanography at Oregon State University
The Coastal Oregon Marine Experiment Station (COMES) at Oregon State University (OSU) invites applications for a tenure track Assistant Professor in Fisheries Oceanography. We seek an engaged and enthusiastic colleague to complement the existing strengths at OSU in marine research, teaching, outreach, and service, and be part of our novel Marine Studies Initiative. As a member of COMES, the new faculty member will be expected to conduct interdisciplinary and collaborative research in support of the COMES mission “to understand, utilize, and sustain marine resources and coastal ecosystems in order to benefit the citizens of Oregon, the Pacific Northwest, the Nation, and the World.” This position will be based in Newport, Oregon at the Hatfield Marine Science Center. This hire will be part of a larger commitment by OSU to hire, retain, and develop diverse faculty to mentor and educate our undergraduate and graduate students from entry through graduation.
- Ph.D. or equivalent advanced degree in oceanography, ecology, fisheries, or a related discipline;
- Experience conducting oceanographic and ecological research in coastal ecosystems;
- Record of peer-reviewed and refereed publications, appropriate for the level of experience;
- Strong interest and enthusiasm for interdisciplinary and collaborative research, including partners outside of academia;
- Strong interest and enthusiasm for undergraduate and graduate teaching–faculty at Oregon State University are committed to student success;
- Excellent communication and organizational skills;
- Commitment to promoting equity, inclusion and diversity.
- Post-doctoral or post-graduate professional experience;
- Ability to recognize and address significant natural resource problems;
- Success in obtaining extramural funding through grants or contracts;
- Demonstrated capacity for interdisciplinary collaboration and outreach;
- Demonstrated excellence or significant potential for excellence in teaching of undergraduate and graduate students;
- Experience supervising and mentoring undergraduate and graduate students.
If interested, please visit the Posting # 0016538 at https://jobs.oregonstate.edu/. For full consideration, applications must be received by 01/15/16. We encourage applicants with creative and diverse perspectives to join our community.
OSU is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer
Please visit the following web pages for additional information.
Coastal Oregon Marine Experiment Station: http://marineresearch.oregonstate.edu/
Oregon State University’s Marine Studies Initiative: http://marinestudies.oregonstate.edu/
Oregon State University’s Strategic Plan: http://oregonstate.edu/leadership/strategicplan/phase3