Support Scientist (Fish Assessment) – Seattle, WA
Part-time: approx. 20hrs/wk
Will work closely with and support the Stock Synthesis team to help develop the fish population assessment model that is used to conduct stock assessments each year around the country and is used as a training system for students interested in fish assessments. The code is maintained in a Git repository at NOAA’s Virtual Lab (VLAB) with a public facing VLAB that has a Stock Synthesis (SS) forum supporting over 200 registered users. The principal tasks will be to:
Stock Synthesis 3.30 development support; build, and test tasks will be:
- Run tests of new SS versions on a testbed of example input files and compare output to that produced by previous model versions.
- Update and organize the testbed as new SS versions modify the format of the model input and output files, and to more completely test SS features.
- Work with the r4ss developers to ensure that this R package works with changes in SS formats.
- Work with researchers in an R environment to conduct tests of SS performance against simulated datasets.
- Archive the source code and compiled code for each release across operating systems.
- Assist in the maintenance and improvement of the SS 3.30 user manual (in LaTeX).
- Assist in maintaining an up-to-date version of ADMB on Windows, Linux, and OS X.
- Assist in building the three SS 3.30 executables for 64-bit Windows, Linux, and OS X as new versions of code are developed (about bi-weekly).
Stock Synthesis VLab user site tasks will be:
- Organize the SS VLab web presence to facilitate user access to needed information.
- Monitor the forum on the SS VLab site and direct questions to SS experts for answers.
- Register new users to the SS VLab site, and subscribe them to the SS 3.30 Release updates forum.
- Check the NMFS.Stock.Synthesis email account regularly for user requests.
- For each release
- Upload the executables, the GUI executables (currently 64-bit Windows only), the user manual, the change log, and example input files in the most recent SS 3.30 version format to the SS VLab site.
- Post a detailed message in the SS 3.30 Release updates forum for each release after clearing the message content with Manager.
Some experience with programming in C++. Must have experience running and testing builds, Git version control, and with multiple platforms including windows, linux, and iOS. Must have good communication skills and work well in a team environment.
Must be a US Citizen and be able to pass a background investigation to obtain a security badge to enter the applicable government facility.
College student working on, or just completing, either a graduate or undergraduate degree in Computer Science or related field.
Submit resume to ERT’s Career Opportunities Web Page at: http://chk.tbe.taleo.net/chk04/ats/careers/searchResults.jsp?org=ERT&cws=1
Earth Resources Technology, Inc. (ERT)
ERT is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer – All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.