Sitka Tribe of Alaska Environmental Program
Biological Science Technician
Salary Range: $18.50-$21.00
Department: Resource Protection Department
Prepared By: Environmental Program Manager
Reports to: Environmental Program Manager
Approved by: General Manager
Hours: 8:00 am – 4:30pm
The Sitka Tribe of Alaska is seeking a Biological Science Technician to assist with multiple projects within STA’s Fisheries and Environmental Programs. Some of these projects include: ocean acidification monitoring, harmful algal bloom and shellfish biotoxins data collection, analyzing subsistence foods for contaminants, stream assessments, fisheries monitoring and research, and harvesting multiple species for the Traditional Foods Program.
II. ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Collect, process, and ship traditional foods samples for organic and inorganic contaminant testing
• Perform “ground truthing” site visits and record GPS data and site observations
• Collect and process whole water and shellfish samples to test for biotoxins
• Perform basic laboratory duties.
• Fisheries monitoring to include the ability to enumerate salmonids by species and collect age, sex, and length data
• Assist in data analysis and writing protocols and reports
• Assist in Traditional Foods Program harvest and distribution
• Travel by boat and float plane
• Attend and participate in STA staff meetings and events
• Other duties as assigned
III. MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
• Bachelor’s degree in environmental science, biology, fisheries management, or similar.
• One year experience collecting and analyzing environmental field data.
• Ability to work as part of a team with minimal supervision
• Experience working safely in moving water and in bear habitat
• Strong attention to detail and good record-keeping
• Basic laboratory skills and techniques
• Ability to follow established sample and data collection protocols
• Effective written and oral communication
• GPS and ArcGIS experience and knowledge preferred
• Experience with Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel
• Ability to incorporate the environmental concerns of the Sitka Tribal Council and its citizens to accomplish long-range environmental goals and objectives
Tribal Native preference in hiring applies as outlined in the STA Hiring Policy and Procedure and the STA Employee Handbook.
Non-Exempt Employee Status:
As a non-exempt employee, the Biological Science Technician is eligible for over-time (1.5 times the hourly rate) for any work over 75 hours in a two-week pay-period. The position does not offer any relocation funds.
Drug and Alcohol Free Workplace
This position is required to comply with Sitka Tribe of Alaska’s Drug and Alcohol Free Workplace Ordinance. This position therefore is subject to drug and/or alcohol testing if the immediate supervisor has reasonable suspicion that the employee has reported to work under the influence of a prohibited drug used unlawfully or under the influence of alcohol.
Criminal Background Check.
This position requires full compliance with the STA Criminal Background Check ordinance. All candidates for this position must consent to a criminal history record check. The individual who holds this position is required to report any violation of a criminal statute within one working day of the charge or conviction to the individual’s immediate supervisor. No individual may fill this position who:
• has been convicted of any crime involving a sexual offense
• has been convicted, plead no contest to, or has a current pending charge of a felony
• has been convicted or plead no contest to a misdemeanor domestic violence offense
• is currently subject to a restraining order issued after a hearing which restrains the individual from harassing, stalking, or threatening an intimate partner or child