Dear College of the Environment Undergrads,
Do you love your College of the Environment major? Do you want to share your passion for the environment with future students? If so, then you would be a great fit for our brand new College of the Environment Undergraduate Student Ambassador Program!
Learn more and apply by November 28: https://catalyst.uw.edu/webq/survey/coenvadv/316950
The Details (also available online):
Who are the UW Environment Undergraduate Student Ambassadors?
Our Student Ambassadors are undergraduate students in College of the Environment majors who want to connect with prospective students to share their experiences and support them with the application and college/major decision process.
What do Student Ambassadors do?
There are a wide variety of ways for student ambassadors to get involved, based on their interests. A few options include:
- Interact with prospective students (high school & prospective transfer)
o Answer prospective student questions about the College of the Environment
o Create a web student profile where future student can learn about your academic path
o Guide future students and their families on tours of College of the Environment buildings
- Welcome recently admitted students (April)
o Contact recently admitted students to welcome them to the College of the Environment community and connect them with resources
o Host admitted students for “Enviro-Husky for a Day” program (an admitted student will shadow & attend classes with you for a day)
o Engage in Admitted Student Preview Day Programming
- Represent the College of the Environment at Events such as:
o Student Panels (exploring majors, careers, etc.)
o Earth Day Celebration in Red Square (April)
o Sustainable UW Festival (October)
o College of the Environment Future Student Visit Day (Summer)
o DawgDaze/Winter DawgDaze
o Esperanza en Educación
o Native American Student Day
o FIUTS Welcome Event
What’s the time commitment like?
All applicants must be able to attend a group interview on Saturday, January 7 and monthly training/check-in meetings (dates TBD based on ambassador schedules). Typical time commitment for volunteers is 2-4 hours/month, with increased opportunities to get involved during the months of April (Admitted Student Previews), August (Future Student Visit Day), September (DawgDaze), and October (Application Season).
We ask Student Ambassadors to commit to participating in the program through one academic year but you are welcome to continue with the program through the summer after graduation. Freshman welcome!
What will I get out of this experience?
- Develop Skills & Boost Your Resume – perfect your elevator pitch, develop leadership, communication, and public speaking skills
- Build Community – welcome and support future members of our community while connecting with your peers across our 7 undergraduate majors
- Good Karma – you will help future students explore UW and College of the Environment majors and will provide them with the tools needed to be successful in their initial quarters at UW
- Mentorship – Receive training and mentorship throughout the program, access ambassador-only career development/networking opportunities, and receive a letter of recommendation upon completion of your first academic year of service
How do I become a UW Environment Undergraduate Student Ambassador?
- Complete the online Student Ambassador Application by Monday, November 28: https://catalyst.uw.edu/webq/survey/coenvadv/316950 This application consists of a questionnaire and a short survey.
- Selected candidates will participate in a group interview event on Saturday, January 7.
- Student Ambassadors will be notified of their acceptance by Friday, January 13.
Questions? Email Christen Foehring, Undergraduate Student Services Specialist and Pre-Major Adviser, firstname.lastname@example.org