W.F. Thompson Award for Best Student Paper
Published in 2013
Nominations are open for the W.F. Thompson Award, which will be given by the American Institute of Fishery Research
Biologists (AIFRB) to recognize the best student paper in fisheries science published during 2013. The award will
consist of a check for $1000, a certificate, and a one-year membership in AIFRB at an appropriate level. The
requirements for eligibility are as follows:
(1) the paper must be based on research performed while the student was a candidate for a Bachelor’s, Master’s, or
Ph.D. degree at a college or university in the Western Hemisphere;
(2) the results of the research must have been submitted to the recognized scientific journal in which it was
eventually published, or to the editor of the book in which it was eventually published, within three (3) years of
termination of student status;
(3) papers that are nominated for the award must be concerned with freshwater or marine biological resources and/or
(4) the paper must be in English; and
(5) the student must be the senior author of the paper.
Nominations may be submitted by professors or other mentors, associates of the students, or by the students themselves.
The submission package should include a letter of nomination, the student’s curriculum vitae and a copy of the
publication. Submissions in MSWord or as pdf documents are required.
The deadline for receipt of nominations is April 15, 2015.
The nominations should be sent to the Chairman of the W.F. Thompson Award Committee, Dr. Frank M. Panek (Fishery and
Aquatic Health Associates, P.O. Box 379, Inwood, WV 25428). E-mailed submissions to: fpanek are preferred.